What is it?
Users are divided into two Divisions based on their overall CodeChef rating.
- Division 1: Users with rating >= 1800
- Division 2: Users with rating < 1800
All CodeChef contests (Long Challenges, Cook-Offs and LunchTimes) will now have two parallel contests, one for Division 1 and another for Division 2. A user can participate in only the Division that she belongs to.
Tell me more
- Only your overall CodeChef rating is relevant for this, not your rating in the separate formats, or your Junior rating, if it exists.
- You will be able to attempt the problems from the other Division also, during the contest itself, but they will be in a separate ‘Non Scorable’ section, and those problems will not affect your rating or ranking.
- Your rating will be calculated only within your Division. That is, it will be calculated only using other people in your own Division as opponents.
- This change will be brought into effect from the March 2018 Long Contest.
- The usual CodeChef contest URLs will now function as a landing page (eg. https://www.codechef.com/MARCH18), and the actual contests will have an ‘A’ appended to the URL for Division 1 (eg. https://www.codechef.com/MARCH18A) and a ‘B’ appended for Division 2 (eg. https://www.codechef.com/MARCH18B).
External Rated Contests
External rated contests can now be of three types:
- Having separate Division 1 and Division 2 contests in parallel
- Having a single contest for both Divisions combined
- Having the contest rated only for Division 2 users.
In case the contest is going to be rated only for Division 2 users, there will be an option to allow Unofficial Participation for the Division 1 users. These users will then be able to submit in the contest, but they will not feature in the ranklist, and nor will their rating be affected.
Why introduce this?
- The range of difficulty of problems in a contest will now be more suitable for the users. Division 2 coders will get more easier problems to fine tune their coding on, whereas Division 1 coders will not need to solve many easy problems, but rather focus on harder problems.
- Calculating the rating within their own Division ensures a better reflection of their true skill.
- There can be more External Rated Contests, which are for Division 2 users only.
- It provides an even greater motivation for users to improve their performance.