About the Workshop
The grasp of Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) is at the heart of learning Computer Science. Today, in the IT industry, there is a massive shortage of professionals who have a command over this subject. Recent studies have corroborated our belief that a vast majority of engineers in India are unfit for software development jobs, a fact that we identified and took on to fix ten years ago. A lot of it can be attributed to a lack of understanding of the core concepts of DSA. After taking inputs from programming students, prominent developers, and industry experts, we have designed and conducted various workshops that aimed to bridge this skill gap.
The upcoming Advanced Programming Camp at IIT Gandhinagar is one such initiative geared towards students who have a very good grasp of algorithms and data structures, and can solve most problems which arise in practice.
In this specially designed workshop, we will introduce students to the advanced level concepts behind Data Structures and Algorithms. One will learn how to analyze problems and represent solutions algorithmically and to use the ideal data structures for efficiency. Further, it will also help them to gain an in-depth understanding of various concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms. The workshop has a significant focus on problem-solving using a hands-on approach that will help you translate these theoretical concepts to actual, working code.
- Dates: 7th September to 11th September 2019
- Duration: 50 hours of lectures + problem solving
- Venue: IIT Gandhinagar (https://goo.gl/maps/gYQGJ7XbfA7WVZXH8)
Who should take up this workshop?
- Students who have a very good grasp of algorithms and data structures, and are looking to jump up to the next level.
- You are close to placements season and want to be ready for pre-placement tests and theoretical and practical screening questions
- Knowledge of any one of these programming languages is absolutely essential: C, C++, Java or Python.
Must have rating >= 1600 on CodeChef or >= 1400 on CodeForces
- Workshop fee - ₹12,500/- per student + GST
- Workshop attendees can enroll for CodeChef Certification at an additional cost of ₹1,000/- per student + GST.
- Other Provisions available on paid basis:
- Accommodation on campus: Have very limited seats - 20 students (max)
- Rate: INR 400 per night
Please note the fee once paid will be non-refundable.
Contents of the Workshop:
The workshop will focus on problem-solving in each of these topics of algorithms and data structures. The topics covered will include, but are not limited to:
- Advanced sorting and binary search problems
- Dynamic Programming
- Graph algorithms - From the introduction of graphs, till network flows
- Segment Trees
- Square-root decomposition techniques
- Computational geometry - Till convex hulls
The workshop will be oriented towards learning through problem solving (along with how to implement the logic), which will help cement the understanding of each topic.
Details of Trainer:
The workshop will be conducted by Arjun Arul.
Arjun works for CodeChef, and has been involved in the field of competitive programming for the last 10 years in various capacities. His team advanced to the World Finals of ACM-ICPC (International Collegiate Programming Contest) twice, and he has been a coach and problem setter at IOITC (International Olympiad in Informatics Training Camp, India) for 6 years. He has lectured at many coding camps across the country, on topics of varying difficulties.
- Students need to bring their own laptop
- The participants should bear accommodation, travel, and food expenses during the workshop.
Contact: 022 6196 6361
How do I apply?
Interested students can apply to the workshop by clicking on "Apply Now" button below. Shortlisted students will receive a confirmation email along with the payment instructions.