Summer Programming Workshop - 2018
About the Workshop
The grasp of Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) is at the heart of learning Computer Science. Today, in the IT industry, there is a huge shortage of professionals who have a command over this subject. In fact, recent studies have corroborated our belief that a vast majority of engineers in India are unfit for software development jobs, a fact that we identified and took on to fix 9 years ago. A lot of it can be attributed to a lack of understanding of the core concepts of DSA. There is very little motivation and awareness to learn and excel in this subject. And, the conventional pedagogy adopted in colleges/schools does not really help. This is where we would like to bridge the gap and help students.
- Duration: 2 weeks (75 hours of lectures + problem solving)
- Dates: 14th May to 25th May 2018
- Venue: MLR Institute of Technology, Hyderabad ( Link to Map)
Who can apply?
Any student who wants to build a strong foundation in Data Structure and Algorithms (DSA) can apply for this summer workshop program. The workshop is not just constrained to students from CSE & IT backgrounds, even students from other departments/backgrounds who have keen interest towards programming and want to pursue it as a career can apply. School students who have keen interest in the learning foundation of DSA can also apply.
Who should take up this programme?
- If you want to get hands on training of basic algorithms and data structures to get a good grasp on the subject. Learn the theory and implementation of basic algorithms and data structures.
- If you want to get started in competitive programming and want to participate in ACM-ICPC or IOI and win laurels, this is definitely the best starting place.
- If you are looking at the placements season, and preparing for written rounds, this would boost your preparations.
- If you didn’t find any good internship, but want to utilize your summer productively, this could be apt.
Furthermore, the students can then evaluate themselves by taking up the CodeChef Certified Data Structure & Algorithms Programme (CCDSAP). Passing the exam will earn you a certification with lifetime validity.
Basic knowledge of any one of these programming languages is absolutely essential: C, C++, Java or Python. No knowledge of DSA is expected.
₹12,500/- per student + GST
The cost for the workshop will be non-refundable.
- Training (Lectures + Hands on sessions)
- Accommodation during the training period (does not include food)
- ₹1,500 off vouchers for CCDSAP Certification Exam
How do I apply?
We have closed the registration for the workshop.
Contents of the Workshop:
The programme will start out by explaining online programming judges, and how to use them. It will then focus on problem solving in each of the basic topics of algorithms and data structures. The topics covered will include, but not limited to:
- Data structures like Arrays, Strings, Stacks, Queues
- Dynamic Programming
- Greedy Algorithms
- Binary Search
The programme will be oriented towards learning through problem solving (along with how to implement the logic), which will help cement the understanding of each topic.
Details of Trainer:
The workshop will be conducted by Arjun Arul and a few teaching assistants from the world of competitive programming.
Arjun works for CodeChef, and has been involved in the field of competitive programming for the last 9 years in various capacities. His team advanced to the World Finals of ACM-ICPC (International Collegiate Programming Contest) twice, and he has been a coach and problem setter at IOITC (International Olympiad in Informatics Training Camp, India) for 6 years. He has lectured at many coding camps across the country, on topics of varying difficulties.