Directi Go for Gold Initiative
Help India Win the ACM ICPC World Finals
Its been 6 years since we created CodeChef, a non-commercial platform to help Indian programmers become the best in the world.
CodeChef's growth has been outstanding in this short while surpassing all our expectations:
- 125,000 active users from 12,000 institutions and organizations#
- 800 programming contests#
- Over 22 lac+ submissions
We're proud of CodeChef, but we know we still have a long way to go. That's why Directi and CodeChef together announced the Go for Gold Project 5 years ago.
The goal of the Go for Gold Project is ambitious: We want an Indian team to win the ACM-ICPC contest, the most competitive programming challenge in the world.
We realize that that change won't happen overnight, so our plan is to support learning and reward improvement. We're providing ongoing scholarship, incentives, promotion, tech assistance, and training for Indian students.
With a little push to get started, we think you can change the world.
We are committed to being completely transparent about our activities, motives, and finances. On this page you will find details on our allocated budgets, the manner of our budget allocation, and a list of activities that we will conduct under the Go for Gold project.
A year after the launch of the Go for Gold Initiative, two Indian teams have managed to do better than what any Indian team has ever done, at the ACM ICPC 2012 Warsaw finals. It is the first time India has managed to make its mark within the top 20 and we can't wait to see who's next!
Go for it.
Directi Go for Gold Cup and Cash prize
How do you win?
The Directi Go for Gold Cup and cash prize will be awarded to any Indian team that finishes higher at the ACM ICPC than any other Indian team has in the history of the contest.
Current rank to beat:
What do you win?
- The prestigious Go for Gold Cup on behalf of your college (The winners of the Go for Gold Cup will have their names inscribed in the Cup.)
- A cash prize calculated by using the Golden Rule
How much is the prize?
The cash prize for any year is computed as follows -
Prize = (Rs. 161803 * 1.61803^1.61803) * (log (base 1.61803) (N+1))
- N is the number of years for which this prize has remained unclaimed (Current value of N is 1)
- 1.61803 are the first 6 digits of the golden ratio (go for gold ;))
Each year the prize is unclaimed, it increases further. The below table shows how this prize would grow if it were unclaimed for the next 4 years -
|Year||Cash Prize (Rs.)|
How is the prize money distributed?
- The winning team will dedicate 33% of the prize to their college to spend towards anything related to enhancing the IT infrastructure (internet connection, laptops, computer room)
- The remaining prize will be divided amongst the team members
Can more than one team win per year?
More than one team can win the title. If multiple teams win, they will all have their names inscribed on the cup. However the cash prize will only be awarded to the team that finishes the highest. Additionally, the cup will only be given to the college of that team.
Official Contest Sponsorship Program
As a part of the Go for Gold initiative, we also want to encourage increased participation in other programming contests. Each year, we plan to sponsor more contests in India, providing financial and operations support to contest organizers. Here's a breakdown of the support we can provide to select contests:
|Cash||Pre-determined cash amounts ranging from Rs 50,000 to Rs 3,00,000 for select programming contests. Our model for contest selection and sponsorship amounts is listed below.|
|Guaranteed placements||Directi will provide guaranteed placement to any candidate who qualifies for the ACM ICPC finals (and has been an active participant in the team)|
|Mailers to CodeChef Members||We'll send emails about your contest to our active registered CodeChef members.|
|Posters/Brochures to campuses||We'll mail posters and other info about your contest to our contacts at 1000's of institutions across India.|
|CodeChef Website||We get 500,000+ avg monthly visits from over 125,000 unique monthly visitors on codechef.com. We will put up banners, links and content promoting your contest on our website.|
|Facebook, Twitter, & Blog||We have over 200,000 fans and followers on our Facebook page, Twitter account and blog. We will publicize your contest through all of our social streams.|
|Contest platform & Judge||A proven software platform for contest organizers to create and test problems using the SPOJ judge. CodeChef has successfully run over 550 contests with over 1,350,000 submissions in the last year on this platform. Your tech team will have direct access to this platform and have a web-based interface to upload problems, test them, run the contest and view the statistics.|
|Certificates||We will assist in designing and mailing out printed participation and winning certificates to all the participants.|
|Contest problems||We're happy to introduce you to the very same freelancers that we use for problem setting and testing. They have considerable experience in ensuring that contest problems are functional and fair and of the best quality.|
|ACM Regionals giveaways||To encourage participation we will give a gift to every participant who makes at least one successful submission of a non-easy problem in the ACM ICPC regional online contest|
|Guaranteed personal interviews||We will provide guaranteed personal interviews to any candidate who makes a correct submission of a non-easy problem in the ACM ICPC regional online contest and at least one other selected contest|
|Other Giveaways||Based on availability and budgets, we would also provide giveaways to participants in other select contests|
|Recruitment||Given the right candidates, we will provide pre-placement offers / internships to specific contest participants from other contests too|
|ACM Regional Kanpur||3,00,000 INR|
|ACM Regional Amritapuri||3,00,000 INR|
|ACM Regional Kharagpur||3,00,000 INR|
We have dedicated a substantial budget to fund our contest sponsorship program. In return, we only ask for branding placements and that contests use the CodeChef platform:
- The Directi Go for Gold logo on the contest website, collateral, mailers, posters, banners on venue, print materials, in press releases and other PR material. These promotions help us get the Go for Gold message out there and encourage participation
- Usage of CodeChef as a coding contest platform for the online version of the contest. We would provide a web interface to contest coordinators to manage the platform just as they would manage any other platform. This can also be leveraged to increase participation by using our existing member base.
At CodeChef we are committed to transparency and equitable partnerships with all contests.
Directi is happy to provide team sponsorships to the top programming teams in the country.
Who is eligible?
Programming teams become eligible to earn sponsorships based on their results in certain programming challenges. We will announce the specific criteria for team sponsorship very soon.
For select teams and programmers, we will offer:
- 50% travel reimbursements for the ACM final tournament
- Team uniforms (you can't wear these at the actual ACM-ICPC, but you can sport them anywhere else)
- Internship opportunities
- ... and more
Over the next few years, we'll be expanding the Go for Gold Project to include more support for aspiring Indian programmers and more incentives to improve.
Here are just a few of things we're planning to do:
- We are planning to extend this program to schools.
- More comprehensive sponsorship coverage for contests, including more cash and other benefits
- We are planning intensive training camps for students going in for the ICPC regionals.
All of Directi's educational initiatives are designed to push Indian software developers to improve and become leaders in the industry. We devote considerable time and resources to programs that we feel can kickstart young people's ambition and motivation.
The Go for Gold Project is no exception. We know that it won't be easy to capture first prize at the ACM-ICPC Finals, so we've structured the Project for the long-term.
We're challenging Indian programmers make incremental improvements upon what their peers have done. We see this as a process that will happen over many years, and we're happy to provide training and guidance along the way.
Goals of the Go for Gold Project:
- Provide training and support for up-and-coming Indian software developers.
- Encourage Indian programmers to see their own potential to build the next generation of revolutionary web products.
- Show the world that India has the talent and skill to be the worldwide leader in software development.
The structure, goals and finances of this project are transparent and easily accessible to anyone who wishes to view them. We welcome questions and are happy to discuss the project in further detail.
Total Budget for the Go for Gold project (yearly)
|Item||2012 Cost (Rs.)|
|Directi go for gold prize||804,717|
|Contest Sponsorships (ACM regionals)||10,00,000|
|ACM travel sponsorship (variable depending on location, this year per ACM team sponsorship was Rs 120,000 * 3 teams)||360,000|
|CodeChef operational costs, problem setting, prizes, etc...||45,00,000|
(~US $126,156 @ 56 INR/USD)