Directi Go for Gold Initiative
Help India Win the ACM ICPC World Finals
Its been 8 years since we created CodeChef, a non-commercial platform to help Indian programmers become the best in the world.
CodeChef's growth has been outstanding in this short while surpassing all our expectations:
- 600,000 active users from 12,000 institutions.
- 1300+ programming contests
- Over 13 million+ submissions
We're proud of CodeChef, but we know we still have a long way to go. That's why Directi and CodeChef together announced the Go for Gold Project 7 years ago.
The goal of the Go for Gold Project is ambitious: We want an Indian team to win the ACM-ICPC contest, one of the biggest competitive programming challenge in the world.
We realize that the change won't happen overnight, so our plan is to support learning and reward improvement. We're providing ongoing scholarship, incentives, promotion, tech assistance, and training for Indian students.
With a little push to get started, we think you can change the world.
We are committed to being completely transparent about our activities, motives, and finances. On this page you will find details on our allocated budgets, the manner of our budget allocation, and a list of activities that we will conduct under the Go for Gold project.
A year after the launch of the Go for Gold Initiative, two Indian teams have managed to do better than what any Indian team has ever done, at the ACM ICPC 2012 Warsaw finals. It is the first time India has managed to make its mark within the top 20 and we can't wait to see who's next!
Go for it.
Directi Go for Gold Cup and Cash prize
How do you win?
The Directi Go for Gold Cup and cash prize will be awarded to any Indian team that finishes higher at the ACM ICPC than any other Indian team has in the history of the contest.
Current rank to beat:
What do you win?
- The prestigious Go for Gold Cup on behalf of your college (The winners of the Go for Gold Cup will have their names inscribed on the Cup.)
- A cash prize calculated by using the Golden Rule
How much is the prize?
The cash prize for any year is computed as follows -
Prize = (Rs. 161803 * 1.61803^1.61803) * (log (base 1.61803) (N+1))
- N is the number of years for which this prize has remained unclaimed (Current value of N is 5)
- 1.61803 are the first 6 digits of the golden ratio (go for gold ;))
Each year the prize is unclaimed, it increases further. The below table shows how this prize would grow if it were unclaimed for the next 5 years -
|Year||Cash Prize (Rs.)|
How is the prize money distributed?
- The winning team will dedicate 33% of the prize to their college to spend towards anything related to enhancing the IT infrastructure (internet connection, laptops, computer room)
- The remaining prize will be divided amongst the team members
Can more than one team win per year?
More than one team can win the title. If multiple teams win, they will all have their names inscribed on the cup. However the cash prize will only be awarded to the team that finishes the highest. Additionally, the cup will only be given to the college of that team.
ICPC Sponsorship Program
As a part of the Go for Gold initiative, we also want to encourage increased participation in the ICPC regional contests. Each year, we plan to sponsor ACM ICPC regional sites in India, providing financial and operations support to the organizers. Here's a breakdown of the support we can provide to the regionals:
|Mailers to CodeChef Members||We'll send emails about your contest to our active registered CodeChef members.|
|CodeChef Website||We get 680,000+ avg monthly visits from over 220,000 unique monthly visitors on codechef.com. We will put up banners, links and content promoting your contest on our website.|
|Facebook, Twitter, & Blog||We have over 450,000 fans and followers on our Facebook page, Twitter account and blog. We will publicize your contest through all of our social streams.|
|Contest platform & Judge||A proven software platform for contest organizers to create and test problems using the SPOJ judge. CodeChef has successfully run over 1300 contests with over 13,000,000 submissions since its inception on this platform. Your team will have direct access to this platform and have a web-based interface to upload problems, test them, run the contest and view the statistics.|
|Contest problems||We're happy to introduce you to the very same freelancers that we use for problem setting and testing. They have considerable experience in ensuring that contest problems are functional and fair and of the best quality.|
|Other Giveaways||Based on availability and budgets, we would also provide giveaways to participants in other select contests|
We have dedicated a substantial budget to fund our contest sponsorship program. In return, we only ask for branding placements and that contests use the CodeChef platform:
- The Directi Go for Gold logo on the contest website, collateral, mailers, posters, banners on venue, print materials, in press releases and other PR material. These promotions help us get the Go for Gold message out there and encourage participation
- Usage of CodeChef as a coding contest platform for the online version of the contest. We would provide a web interface to contest coordinators to manage the platform just as they would manage any other platform. This can also be leveraged to increase participation by using our existing member base.
At CodeChef we are committed to transparency and equitable partnerships with all contests.
Directi is happy to provide travel sponsorships to the members of the top programming teams in the country.
Who is eligible?
Team members representing an Indian University at the ACM ICPC World Finals are eligible for the sponsorship.
For select teams, we will offer:
- All the team members representing an Indian University at the ACM ICPC World Finals will be eligible to apply for travel sponsorship. Teams will be communicated about the application process over an email.
- Team uniforms (you can't wear these at the actual ACM-ICPC, but you can sport them anywhere else)
- ... and more
Guidelines for availing reimbursement
- The ACM ICPC Travel Sponsorship will no more be given to the Team. Starting this year, it will be given to the individual member of the team based upon their candidature for the sponsorship
- Upto 50% travel reimbursement;
- Also from this year onwards, we have imposed an additional constraint that the reimbursement goes to only those teams which get into the top 50 teams at the World Finals.
Note: Earlier we used to give it to every team unconditionally, but now we have converted this into a need based application. We get the students to submit their details on an application form which also helps us to assess the need of each student to avail this amount.
Winners of GoForGold in past
Back in 2012, Team Proof - IIT Delhi and Team TuringMachine – IIIT Hyderabad jointly secured the 18th position in the “Olympics of Programming Competitions” the ACM ICPC World Finals 2012.
Go for Gold for Schools
In alignment with our goal, we have extended this program to the Indian Middle/High School students. As a part of this program, we want an Indian student to win the Gold medal at the International Olympiads in Informatics, which is considered the Olympics of programming for School Students.
We realize that that change won't happen overnight, so our plan is to support learning and reward improvement. We're providing ongoing scholarship, incentives, promotion, tech assistance, and training for Indian students.
To know more about Go For Gold for Schools, visit here.
All of Directi's educational initiatives are designed to push Indian software developers to improve and become leaders in the industry. We devote considerable time and resources to programs that we feel can kickstart young people's ambition and motivation.
The Go for Gold Project is no exception. We know that it won't be easy to capture first prize at the ACM-ICPC Finals, so we've structured the Project for the long-term.
We're challenging Indian programmers make incremental improvements upon what their peers have done. We see this as a process that will happen over many years, and we're happy to provide training and guidance along the way.
The structure, goals and finances of this project are transparent and easily accessible to anyone who wishes to view them. We welcome questions and are happy to discuss the project in further detail.