About the Hackathon
CodeChef presents API Hackathon powered by Alibaba Cloud.
Ever had a brilliant idea to improve the competitive programming community? Well, this is your chance. Put your thinking caps on and use the most of this hackathon to build something exciting. CodeChef is thrilled to announce that the CodeChef API will be made accessible to all users who participate in this contest. And Alibaba Cloud is offering its cloud services, absolutely free of charge for this!
This is a team participation hackathon and you can have at most 2 members in your team. Usage of Alibaba Cloud services and CodeChef API is mandatory and will form a significant part of the judging criteria.
The CodeChef API will be launched when the contest starts, along with more details about the competition. Head over to http://alibabacloud.discuss.codechef.com/ for any queries or discussions regarding the contest.
How to Participate?
- Register for the contest, get your Alibaba Cloud Resources and get acquainted with the Alibaba Cloud resources.
- CodeChef API access and documentation has been launched on 27th August, along with the problem statement.
- Exact submission procedures are described in the problem statement. Usage of the CodeChef API and Alibaba Cloud services will be mandatory
- Start time: 27th August 2018, 9pm IST
- End time: 21st September 2018, 9pm IST
- Duration: 25 days
Win Cash prizes worth $2400, Internship opportunity at CodeChef, T-shirts and more...
- 1st Prize:
- $1000 Cash
- $1000 Alibaba Cloud credits
- $100 Alibaba Cloud Training and Certification credit
- $120 x 2 Alibaba Cloud Certified Professional (ACP) training and exam
- 2000 CodeChef laddus
- 2nd Prize:
- $800 Cash
- $800 Alibaba Cloud credits
- $80 Alibaba Cloud Training and Certification credit
- $120 x 2 Alibaba Cloud Certified Professional (ACP) training and exam
- 1600 CodeChef laddus
- 3rd Prize:
- $600 Cash
- $600 Alibaba Cloud credits
- $50 Alibaba Cloud Training and Certification credit
- 1200 CodeChef laddus
Internship Opportunity: Top teams will get a direct interview opportunity with CodeChef. Top 15 teams will win Alibaba Cloud t-shirts.
Note: Cash prizes are subject to tax deductions.
Registration and getting Alibaba Cloud Resources
- First register for the contest on CodeChef using the "Register" button given above.
- If you are forming a team with two members, one user will have to be the 'Team Owner', and will have to register the team, and send an invite to the other member who will have to accept the invite. All relevant instructions will be given when you click on the "Register" button.
- After your registration has been completed, you will receive an email with a Unique Code, using which you will get free Alibaba Cloud Resources, as described below. Each member of the team will get a different Unique Code which they can use separately.
- Next create a free account on Alibaba Cloud by going here. Note that after entering the verification code sent to your email, you do not need to enter your payment details.
- You can then claim your free Alibaba Cloud Resources by going here. Enter your name, email ID and the Unique Code that you had received from CodeChef through email.
- You will be assigned two sets of Alibaba Cloud Resources. One set of resources will be assigned to you when you within 15 hours of entering the Unique Code, and you will receive an email when it has been assigned to you. This first set of resources is for you to practice with, and get used to the various components of the cloud service.
- The second set of resources will be identical to the first set, and they will be automatically assigned to you on September 10th (or later, if you register after that). Details about this will be emailed to you as well.
- Both these sets of resources will expire 30 days after it has been assigned to you. Make sure to use and deploy your app in the second set of resources, so that it is working at least till 9th October, for judging.
- You can then log into your Alibaba Cloud account and activate your cloud resources by going to Billing Management -> Voucher Management. Once you have activated them, you are all set to start using them for your app!
- Alibaba Cloud resources include: ECS (Elastic Compute Service), RDS (Relational Database Service), OSS (Object Storage Service), Function Compute, MongoDB, 5 Clouder Courses and Exams. Note: If you want to use OSS or Function Compute, you will have to enter your payment details, even though actual payment is not needed.
How to use Alibaba Cloud Resources
- How to use Alibaba Cloud Voucher
- Getting Started With Alibaba Cloud with hands-on tutorials.
- You can get yourself acquainted with the Alibaba Cloud API and SDK here.
- You can also join Alibaba Cloud Clouder Courses and get certified.
- You can use the Alibaba Cloud Credits you claimed, to learn the following courses and take exams for free:
- If you want to try more Alibaba Cloud products or services for free, you can use the Alibaba Cloud free trial here. Note that this needs you to add your payment details, even though it is free.
- Formation of team: This is a team participation hackathon. You can have at most 2 members in your team. There is no restriction on who the two members can be. A single person can be part of at most 1 team. The prize value for the winning teams will remain the same, regardless of team size.
- Usage of Alibaba Cloud services and CodeChef API is mandatory and will form a significant part of the judging criteria.
- Your submitted app should be in working condition till October 9th 2018 at least, for judging to take place.
- Participants are expected to come up with new and innovative ideas.
- You have to develop the application on your local system and submit the Alibaba Cloud URL where you have hosted it, along with instructions to run the application. The source code should be included. A presentation or video explaining your submission should also be included.
- Participants are free to use any publicly accessible API for the purpose of data collection.
- If you use any database like MySQL, you should also submit a database dump along with your submission.
- There is no restriction to use any language, technology stack, or libraries.
- The hacks/solutions developed as part of the hackathon will be owned by the individuals and teams who create them.
- Continuation of CodeChef API access after the contest ends will be available only to select users who will be identified manually.
- By participating in the hackathon, you agree to CodeChef API’s and Alibaba Cloud’s terms and conditions.
- The hackathon organizers will have the right at their sole discretion to determine whether an entrant is eligible for the Contest.
About the Organisers
Alibaba Cloud, a subsidiary of Alibaba Group, is a cloud computing company. Alibaba Cloud provides cloud computing services to online businesses and Alibaba Group's own e-commerce ecosystem. It offers high-performance, elastic computing power in the cloud. Services are available on a pay-as-you-go basis and include data storage, relational databases, big-data processing, Anti-DDoS protection and content delivery networks (CDN).
CodeChef is a competitive programming website. It is a not-for-profit educational initiative by Directi, an Indian software company. It was created to help programmers make it big in the world of algorithms, computer programming and programming contests. CodeChef works hard to revive the geek in programmers by hosting programming contests throughout the month and also has various algorithmic tutorials and discussion forums to help those who are new to the world of competitive programming.
Alibaba Cloud and Intel® Xeon®
Alibaba Cloud and Intel provides leading Cloud Service Innovation Technology. Alibaba Cloud servers adopt Intel® Xeon® scalable processors to ensure better performance. They have got the breakthrough performance to drive business innovation and it is a trusted platform to ensure business continuity and agile infrastructure for diversified workloads.
15th Nov, 13:45 IST: The winning entries for CodeChef API Hackathon can be found here.
2nd Nov, 00.25 IST: Results for the Hackathon will be announced on 2nd November, 2018. Sorry for the delay in announcing the results.
29th Oct, 19.25 IST: Results for the Hackathon will be announced tomorrow on 30th October, 2018 around 5PM IST.
25th Sep, 18.20 IST: We have made following changes in "ranklist" API. These changes will allow users to fetch ranklist quickly:
- Previous possible "LIMIT" was "1 to 25" in one call, now there is a fixed limit of 1500.
- "OFFSET" starts from 0 and can be multiple of 1500. "ORDER BY" is set to "rank" and order is set to "ASC".
21st Sep, 16.45 IST: We would like all the participants to fill in the feedback form to help us learn more about your experience with the Hackathon. Form's link: www.codechef.com/forms/response/feedback-CAH1801
18th Sep, 19.30 IST: We have extended the submission deadline of the hackathon till 30th September, 11:59 IST. All the teams now have 1 more week to hack the solution!
5th Sep, 14.00 IST: Due to an overwhelming response from the community, we have now stopped the registration for this hackathon! Chef will be back soon with another hackathon!