New users are requested to go through the below information to know more about the contest.
CodeChef: A Platform for Aspiring Programmers
CodeChef was created as a platform to help programmers make it big in the world of algorithms, computer programming, and programming contests. At CodeChef, we work hard to revive the geek in you by hosting a programming contest at the start of the month and another smaller programming challenge in the middle of the month.
About CodeChef August Long Challenge:
CodeChef Long Challenge is a 10-day monthly coding contest where you can show off your computer programming skills. The significance being - it gives you enough time to think about a problem, try different ways of attacking the problem, read the concepts etc. If you’re usually slow at solving problems and have ample time at hand, this is ideal for you. We also put in a lot of efforts in getting quality problems, which would, in turn, foster your learning while solving them.
- Duration: 10 Days, from 2nd August 1500 hrs IST to 12th August 1500 hrs IST. Check your timezone here.
Eligibility Criteria: Anyone with a knack for Programming :P
Our contests are open to all the programmers across the globe.
What's in it for you?
The idea behind these programming contests is that we want you to learn while competing. Also we believe that it is alright to refer to tutorials, books and other materials, learn a concept and then apply the same to solve a problem during a contest. But it is not alright to copy other people's solutions or seek other people's help to solve a problem without understanding it. The dividing line may seem to be thin but it can be captured by the spirit of learning. If whatever you are doing is making you learn while you do so, we tend to believe that it is alright. However, all the participants are expected to abide to CodeChef Code Of Conduct
Not just that, as a token of motivation we also give away cash prizes and goodies to the winners of the contest. However, our sole intention lies in making our users learn new concepts while competing. You can know more about prizes here. FYI, here are the list of cash prizes:
- 1st prize: INR 12000/-
- 2nd prize: INR 8000/-
- 1st prize: $400
- 2nd prize: $300
With CodeChef laddus, the winners can claim cool CodeChef goodies. Know more here.
Rules and Regulations:
- Please do not discuss strategy, suggestions or tips in the comments during a live contest. Posting questions clarifying the problem statement is ok. If you are unsure, email us at email@example.com.
- All the problems will be partially graded and you will get a score for passing certain test data (except tie-breaker problem). You will receive hundred (100) point for solving a problem (passing all test cases).
- The details of the failed test cases will also be visible on your solution page (except challenge problem)
- There are no penalties for incorrect submissions.
- Each contest will have one min/max tie breaker problem, where the best solution will receive one point and all other solutions will receive a fraction based how close they come to the best solution.
- You shall not possess more than one account on CodeChef. If you have, then do let us know, so that we can deactivate the insignificant one. If you do not report it and we come to know about it, we may deactivate both the accounts permanently.
- The score that you will see during the contest (for tie-breaker problem), will only be partial (obtained on 20% of the test data). The submissions will be re-judged at the end of the contest to get a full score (obtained on the whole test data).
- Similarly, for the challenge problem, the time and memory consumption shown for a submission will be the maximum of the corresponding metric on only the 20% of the test files on which it is being scored now. You will still get a WA/TLE/MLE verdict if your submission fails in the remaining 80% of the test files.
- The number of submissions that one can make during the contest on the problem will be limited to 500 and the maximum number of submissions allowed in the challenge problem are limited to 100.
Note: You can now "Code, Compile, and Run" your codes on our newly launched Online IDE.
However, if you are using any other online development environment, make sure that other contestants don't have access to your code. As a contestant, you are responsible for making sure others don't access the code that you submit. If you use Ideone, make sure to mark your submission "private" (not secret)".
6th Sept 2019, 17:30 IST: In the Practice section, the statement of TSEQ has been changed. Statements of the form "Find the number of ways to replace each −1 in the sequence S(U,V) by an integer between A and B (inclusive) such that the resulting sequence is strictly increasing." have been changed to "Find the number of ways to replace each −1 in the sequence S(U,V) by an integer such that the resulting sequence is strictly increasing and contains only integers between A and B (inclusive)". There is no change to the problem in the contest.
17th Aug 2019, 17:45 IST: There was some error in the list of tentative winners announced earlier. Here is the revised list: http://bit.ly/tentativewinners. Sorry for the inconvenience caused. The rules for the tentative winners remain same and can be found here: https://bit.ly/2Mlp6tR. Email has been sent to all the tentative winners.
17th Aug 2019, 02:45 IST: Announcing the tentative winners of the certification scholarship: https://bit.ly/2Z8BZ0s. The rules for the tentative winners can be found here: https://bit.ly/2Mlp6tR and all of them will receive an email from CodeChef on 17th August 2019.
16th Aug 2019, 09:45 IST: The tentative winners of the certification scholarship will be announced today (16th Aug 2019, 23:59 hrs IST). And as announced earlier, the final results of the certification scholarship will be announced on 27th August (after completion of the moss).
16th August 18:00 IST: Laddus have been credited.
12th August 16:00 IST: The August Challenge 2019 has ended!
The editorials can be found here.
The problems have been moved to the practice section.
Solutions are public for all the problems.
Ranklist will be recalculated and Laddus will be provided post ratings calculation.
12th Aug 2019, 16:00 IST: The contest has ended successfully. Thanks everyone for participating in it and applying for the certification scholarship. We will run the moss now and the results of the certification scholarship will be announced on 27th August (after completion of the moss).
Note: The applications for certification scholarship are accepted till 15th August 2019, 15:00 hrs IST: https://bit.ly/2YvqVKv.
7th Aug 2019, 15:00 IST: There were some issues with the test files of KS1. They have been fixed, and all submissions rejudged.
4th Aug 2019, 20:45 IST: The time limit for the problem SYNBAC has been increased to 5 seconds, and all submissions have been rejudged.
3rd Aug 2019, 16:25 IST: The test files of the problems MSNSADM1, DSTAPLS, CHGORAM, and MAXEXPR had some extra whitespaces and minor formatting issues. They have been fixed and all submissions have been rejudged.
The test files of CHEFDIL had some minor formatting issues, and have been fixed now. Please re-submit if needed.
1st Aug 2019, 23:00 IST: Announcing Scholarship for CodeChef Certification Exam in DSA
- Top 20 participants from each college/university (both Div 1 and Div 2 combined) will win scholarships for CodeChef Certification exam. Scholarship criteria can be found below:
*Rank 1: 100% Scholarship
*Rank 2 - 5: 75% Scholarship
*Rank 6 - 10: 50% Scholarship
*Rank 11 - 20: 25% Scholarship
- This scholarship is applicable for the exam which will be conducted on 22nd September 2019.
- Participants interested in availing the scholarship, must fill this form: https://bit.ly/2YvqVKv by 15th August 2019, 15:00 hrs IST.
-More details about the scholarship and its criteria are mentioned here.